2022-23 season

2022-23 season

Monday, January 23, 2012

Mary Ann Tweedie and Mrs. Carlson: Separated at Birth?

Mary Ann Tweedie plays Mrs. Carlson


When I auditioned for Whose Wives Are They Anyway?, I was impressed by the talent of my fellow actors.  But one “character” stood out above all others as a natural for her part.  There was no question that Mary Ann Tweedie was Mrs. Carlson.  As Mary Ann acknowledges, “I enjoy the fact that Mrs. Carlson is so much like me in real life.  This part has been a no brainer for me!”

“Mrs. C” as she is often referred to by my character Wilson, is loud, outspoken, full of righteous indignation, and just a little bit full of herself.   Now, I’m not saying that Mary Ann also possesses those qualities, but I will say that it hasn’t been too hard for her to get into character for this play.   Mary Ann describes Mrs. Carlson as “the moral compass of the golf club.  She is a straight laced, by-the-book kind of gal and is going to make sure there are no ‘sexual shenanigans’ taking place in her club!” 

Mary Ann’s main challenge with playing Mrs. Carlson is “to make her likable at the same time as making her irritating …. I also love farce and the challenge it presents to an actor.  Timing is always very important with farce and it is very fun to watch a show like this come together.   I was in Noises Off a few years ago and it was a similar kind of show and I had a great time with that.” 

Mary Ann “found this play a few years ago when I was the head of the play reading committee and I remember thinking it would be great fun to bring these characters to life.”  In her typical self-deprecating fashion, she adds, “I am so glad we are able to do this show before I was too old to be in it!”     

A Barn member for 21-plus years, some of her past favorites include Noises Off (Dotty), State Fair (drunk pickle judge), The Man who Came to Dinner (Lorraine), The Female Odd Couple (Olive), Sylvia (Kate), Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 (Bernice), Light Up the Sky (Irene) and You Can’t Take It With You (Penny).

Whose Wives Are They Anyway? opens Friday February 17 and runs through Saturday March 3.  For tickets, go to www.farmingtonplayers.org or call the box office at 248-553-2955. Find us on Facebook under "Farmington Players". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis